Sad Faced Boy

Merrrrrrrrrrrr

Saturday, November 12, 2005

No rest of the wicked.

I choose to play hooky this past Friday, the main reason being that my concrete contractor called on Thursday and said that he was coming to pour my driveway on Friday. That normally shouldn't have mattered, but there was this whole "I haven't raked all season problem" and the fact that the contractor kept loosing his tools in the blowing leaves earlier this week. An added plus was Olaf (a friend of mine) suggested that we grab some tasty three alarm Hound Dogs pizza at 6am. Hound Dogs has some really tasty pizza, one of the draws for me has always been the odd toppings (the weirdest ones are feta, saurkraut, garlic, err well believe me they have som weird toppings), the three choices of sauces (regular, spicy, howlin hot) and best of all is the garlic crust. Some may be horrified of the thought of pizza for breakfast, however for me when I was growing up cold pizza on a Saturday morning was common (Friday night we got pizza and there was always leftovers). I should have known that 6am wasn't going to happen, I have a hard enough time getting into work by 9:30am somedays, so it's really no suprise that I overslept, though miracuously made it to Hound Dogs by 6:30am. So I'm on this board game kick and was talking about it Olaf about this zombie board game called "Zombie!!", oh and of course I had to mention Carcassonne. See I had to tell Olaf about this Zombie game as he is all about the Zombies, loves the movies, video games, stuffed animals you name it.

Back to the leaves,... you still may be wondering why I had to rake leaves before the the driveway was poured, well the reason was that I had so many leaves that the guys would have been picking leaves out of the driveway constantly while trying to do the driveway, apparently I had so many leaves that when they came to remove the driveway the workers kept losing their tools underneath the blowing leaves. Twenty one bags later (3 1/2 hours) I was finished, I was even able to get fifteen of those bags on the the street for Rumpke to pick up for recycling. Normally Rumpke's in-ability to pick up leaves on Thursday (The day the pick up all the other recycling) would have mildly irritated me, however for a change this worked out for me.

The guy that I choose to do the driveway is named Mark Rodgers, and if you ever need to have someone pour your concrete I'd go with him every time. He is one of those people that don't just do a job and do it well (though he does), he has suggests things before you think to ask about. The example would be the curve of our pad in the back of the house, so that it better matches our patio and flower beds. Another thing, and this is actually more important, was that he had ideas on what to do about this tiny little wall that seperates our driveway from or neighbors (our driveways lay side by side). His initial idea before he started was to redo it for her, but after tearing out our driveway he determined that it would just be better to pour more gravel on our driveway to raise our driveway up closer to theirs. This actually took care of another set of problems, this wall caused us to ding our doors and our neighbor has said that she has almost driven off of her driveway on several occassions. The point being, if you want a driveway poured, call Mark, he was really really great.

About 4:15pm or so I had to leave to go pick up SG at the airport (remember tree hugging, green building conference in Atlanta) at which time I had to swallow the pill which was the bill for the driveway. Suprisingly getting to the airport wasn't too bad even though I was driving over there at rush hour, SG's plane was late but it was thankfully only a little late. The only really, REALLY irritating thing was that on the arrival list the gate never ever showed up for her plane. This left me to wander around waiting for her to hopefully call me (I say hopefully because she has a record of forgetting to charge her phone), thankfully her phone was charged and I got a slightly irritated SG asking me "Why I wasn't at the concourse that she thought I should be at". I was debating what course of action I was going to take on telling her what was done on the driveway in the backyard. See I made the previous post because I needed to post pictures of this elusive curve that was occuring in the backyard. Well Jess had said that she did not want anymore of the backyard concreted than must be, which I could understand but well.... I really like curves and roundedness. So when Mark came out to prep the driveway I was supposed to tell him to straighten it out, well I decided to tell him to leave it as it was, on top of that I told him to cut out the fence post as I did not see how we could have used that to put a new fence back in. These were two things SG kind of wanted to leave in, so the delimna was how and when I was going to tell her. Generally history has shown telling her stuff right after she has landed/sober/hungry can potentially be a bad thing, and as I had two out of the three I was a little worried.

World be damned! I decided to tell her right after we got in the car, and suprisingly she didn't really care, even better was that once she got home she really liked the driveway in the back. So bonus, I took judicial control of the... er decision making I guess and for once it paid off.

The only other slightly eventful things was that I got chastised by a traffic cop, and almost got rear ended while going to the airport... ugh I really dislike cars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home