Sad Faced Boy

Merrrrrrrrrrrr

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Seasons Beatings!

I found out last night there is such a thing as womans roller derby in C-bus. Roller derby, you know two teams, blockers, someone that gets points if they pass some specific member on the oppossing team, violence, fighting, skanky outfits and punk rock grrls. Apparently there is this whole womans rollerderby thing that is sweeping the U.S. and apparently sometime in July of 2005 the Columbus Roller Girls were created by Scarlett Fury. Roller derby is one of those things that has tended to slip under my RADAR, something about watching Roller derby on T.V. seems less than interesting. Now throw in woman's roller derby, make it live, dressed in Holiday regalia, add a little Rob Zombie and my friend you have a recipe for disaster (Did I mention grrls?). Well actually the recipe would have been complete had the WOW Family Fun Center (roller arena) been able to serve PBR, why PBR, because it was the sponsor. Oh and did I mention the whole thing has a feeling of Wrestling (WWF)? Oh but it does all the skaters create their alter skating ego's which again adds another whole layer over pure awsomeness. That's right awsomeness, next I'm going to say inter-spectaculor just because I can... world be damned!

Apparently this event was an exhibition to show off roller derby in Columbus and to help choose the final members of the team based on their performance. There were two teams that they split into, the "Jingle Bells" dressed in X-mas colors and the "Ghouls" who were gothic and well ghoully. What made this whole experience so surreal beyond the fact that I was watching woman skate around the rink with names like "Barracuda", "Triptease", "Hot Wheels", was that the arena where we were at was one that I had not been too since I was in elementary school. See when I was a grade student we used to take our whole class to this place and skate in a time way back when where Jelly's were shoes, Swatch watches were cool and fluorescent colors were the palate of choice.

Back to this rollerderby thing, I don't really know the rules involved and may or may not learn however I do know that my team the "Ghouls" lost. Woe to the undead, it's all because of "Hot Wheels" fault she was the jammer for the "Jingle Bells" team and she owned everyone. Do a google search for the rules for roller derby, I however am just going to add the URL here as I am treating this blog as my temporary memory space. I guess the Ohio Roller Girls are going to be at the Columbus Expo center and this time beer will be served, oh yes there will be chaos. After they were done we were able to slap on some roller skates and roll around the arean ourselves, which just added to the weirdness, I mean I'm not a kid anymore, and I'm roller skating around this arena at 1:30am listening to covers of New Order songs.

On the booze front I did have a new liquor at the Christmas party we went to last night before going to roller derby. The stuff is called Aquavit and it's Danish and it's tasty, at least I think it was tasty. It reminded me of vodka with a nutty, earthy after taste which makes sense now that I read have read what is in it. Flavored with caraway seeds or cumin seed, and actually after having read the description seems a lot like vodka, with the whole distilled from potato/grain mash thing.

2 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger Josh Glover said...

Speaking of things distilled from potatoes, have you ever tried poitín? Mmm mmm make-you-go-blind tasty!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger SFB said...

Hmmm no but I must now try it, I cannot go through life without trying a beverage that I have been told about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home