Sad Faced Boy

Merrrrrrrrrrrr

Friday, March 03, 2006

Don't make me think!

So last night I started reading one of the user interface/user experience books that work bought me "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug. At Sprockets the our moto is "We are UN-professional grade," we try hard, we have good intentions but as one great sage said "We either do things on the cheap or we spend copious amounts of cash, results always the same ghetto." Anyway I'm retarded I've had this book for oh three months or so at least and am finally getting around to reading it. I'm not sure why I was holding off as it reads with the speed of a children's book, reminds me of the days when I used to read Curious George. Fuck who am I kidding SG claims that she can remember the moment she was born, ME? I can't even remember when I last took a crap. The point being is that this book is a quick read so quick that I am embarrassed that I put off reading it. Last night in between sketching ideas for the product I work on I finished three chapters. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has issues designing a website, it's short and after you read a chapter you can't imagine why you would have ever done something the way you did.

Lets step back even further last night shall we? SG and I went to the local library branch, this might be the first time I have stepped into a library in years, not because I don't like to read it's just that I have a six year old fine at the Upper Arlington library and am afraid that a librarian hit has been placed on me. Which reminds me, read this chicks website it's good stuff. At some point in time when I was younger and poorer and my salary was based on how often the grass needed mowing the library and me were good friends. Once I started making the big bucks I all of a sudden swore off the library and choose to start buying my books. Why in Gods name I did this I'm not sure, I mean books have to be the HEAVIEST, LARGEST things that you will rarely ever go back and look at. My final realization that the house that SFB made needs no more books combined with the ability to reserve and have your items brought to your closest library combined with the fact that it's free culminated in getting a library card.

I have been thinking about going backpacking in the Great Smokey Mountains as it is supposed to be really beautiful and I have yet to do any backpacking in that region. So instead of buying a book that I would only need once I had this great idea to reserve some books from the Columbus Public Library. In using the Columbus libraries website I realized that what the book "Don't Make Me Think" said about how people browse the web is true. People don't read carefully, and they don't weigh their options they just pick the first reasonable choice and then muddle their way through it. The libraries site might have just provided me with the best example of muddling which caused me in a fit of rage to call SG and rant about. When I see something that says "book bag" I instantly think shopping cart and when I think shopping cart I think "I will add multiple things to this 'bag' and then I will reserve them all at once." HA HAAAAAAAAA! Fooolishness! Attached to this post are indeed how the "book bag" concept works. You add this too your book bag which will appear to show up however if you cosmos tips slightly your books will fall out of this virtual bag and you will have to start over. You think I'm kidding don't you.. I dare you to use this system, I DOUBLE DOG dare you. I finally was able to get my two backpacking books and my one "thing of thing" (fantasy book) in my "book bag". I then carefully read the instructions and then click "Place Reserves" whereby I am greeted with a page that says "fuck you very much your books will be ready in 2-5 days." HUH? Did I give you a library card number or tell you where I wanted to pick them up you mother fucking system? No I didn't. SG tells me she's never used this system she just clicks the reserve button, she tells me that I have to transcend the "book bag" and "place reserves" system but I can't. My hopes that are in writing this that I may be able to calm down enough to actually work, I doubt this will work as I am going to keep trying to use this system if it takes me having to stick my hands into my monitors and twiddle the bits with my fingers.

Oh and the final and last straw? Try searching for "george rr martin" in their search engine using an author search. Alright do "a feast for crows" as a keyword search. Ha-za at last a match, why a library has a search engine that works like a retarded shelty that only has a brain stem for a brain is beyond me. I mean it's not like they deal in information or anything.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Josh Glover said...

SG is right, just reserve books one at a time. The CML webpage might be ghetto, but at least they have a website. The fact that it allows you to reserve stuff and pick it up at the branch three blocks from your house is like icing on the cake!

The funny thing is, I lived in Columbus for two years, and I used the CML more than you probably will in your whole life of Columbus residency. :)

And BTW, didn't I buy "Don't Make Me Think" for Sprockets?

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger SFB said...

Nope, don't make me think was a book that this user interface/experience consultant told us about.

Besides I REFUSE to give up. Why put something on there if it doesn't work. I refuse! REFUSE I said.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Josh Glover said...

Funny, since I bought a copy of that book at Borders for Sprockets two years ago. But no-one listens to me, since I am not a high-priced consultant. ;)

The Hot Librarian? Priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home