Sad Faced Boy

Merrrrrrrrrrrr

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Eve

I've been to church twice in one week and I'm pretty sure hell hasn't froze over... well just yet. I am starting to come to the conclusion about something, I actually kind of like church services. I don't much care for the sermon's though sometimes they can be really good. Really this isn't the fault of the pastor/preacher/monk/abbot/etc it's just that being a Godly person doesn't always make you a good public speaker. Hell when I was a kid we went to this other church where the Pastor was excellent, superb everyone loved him until he ran off with his secretary who happened to be another man's wife. Yeah, weird I know.

Anyway back to this church service thing, really I just find it rather peaceful and settling on my nerves, I don't think I'm going to go to church every week but I just might start going a little bit more than once every 2 or 3 years. Tonight the church I went to did by far one of the best versions of "O Holy Night," I'm not entirely sure what it sounds like normally but it was beautifully done. It started out with a single man singing in a baritone voice and as it went on more voices came in until it was a chorus fit to be called a heavenly host. Really it was quite nice, the sermon on the other hand was not so good.

It's been years since I've heard this particular pastor give a sermon however I always sort of found him preachy, and tonight wasn't any different. It really wasn't the preachiness that got me though, it was more the lack of direction and a centralized theme. The sermon went on for I'm not sure how long (LONG!) however I could sum it up for you like this, "People are drawn to Jesus because he walked with the common man, was an underdog" then the pastor jumped too "We all have a God shaped space in our hearts." I'm sure there might have been a connection there but I don't really get it. I did find it humorous when he was talking about this "God shapped space" because the pastor choose to quote some preacher from Africa in the 2nd century AD in how again we all have something in us that cannot be filled by anything other than God. That got me thinking too, why have a sermon talking about this, then quote people that talk about this to then come back and say that we were made to look for God, it seems like we could just get past that and talk about something else.

Anyway is it a statement about Christmas when most of the present's people get are clothes. I remember a time when clothes were like old curdled milk in my mouth when I received them, now they are preferred, ugh I really am getting old. Oh another thing I got to do tonight was carve a ham, actually "carved" is a stretch but I did cut some very nice sized uniform ham steaks. Which reminds me a friend of mine used to simmer a piece of ham in a skillet using a can of 7-Up, Cherry 7-Up or Beer. Beer I understood but the Cherry 7-Up really just hurt my brain.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Josh Glover said...

Quoth Chall:

Anyway back to this church service thing, really I just find it rather peaceful and settling on my nerves

I could not agree more. I really feel warm and fuzzy when I go to church (especially the Christmas Eve service, with all of the great music!), even though I don't believe in God in any way that would not cause most Christians' heads to start spinning right 'round.

I don't believe the hypocrisy, really, but for just an hour, I can pretend that everyone in the church really believes in peace on earth and good will towards men.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home