Sad Faced Boy

Merrrrrrrrrrrr

Saturday, April 15, 2006

No crowd surfing


How out of it does one have to be that when your mother calls up and asks if you know where you are going to be going for Easter this year and you're like "Huh, is that coming up or something?" Jebus is gonna strike me dead this year I think. I will say that I have been quite lacking with my regular observances to Ted. Ted you say? Yes I say Ted. Ted is my name for the God of fitness, Ted Fitlinx if you're all prim and proper. This week hasn't been good with me and Teddy F, see first there was this whole Spring thing, you know yard work, trees blooming me gasping for air between gurgles of allergy induced mucus rivers and then there was the Claritin incident, and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's concert in Cleveland. Monday I ran out to get some little Claritin D wonders in a box and was greeted with the next stage in the state of Ohio's on going battle to fight meth labs. Apparently it wasn't enough to limit my ability to buy more than two weeks of allergy relief, now they are making me sign a little formy thing kind of like the piece of paper you sign when you go to vote. I don't get it, I mean how are paper records going to help the State of Ohio fight the ever increasing problems of home and mobile meth labs. How do you search a paper form efficiently? Not thinking popped a couple of Claritin D 24 hour pills within 12 hours of each other leaving me in a fidgety dazed state where I was only able to get sleep in two hour bursts the whole night.

Wednesday night I got a chance to go up to Cleveland to see they Yeah Yeah Yeahs play a show at the Agora. Excellent excellent even if the entire smoking population of Cleveland showed up in mass. I think I read somewhere that said the percentage of people that smoke in Ohio is something like 26% of the population. Apparently when you take the subsection of the people who listen to punk music you find your percentage something closer to 90%. At one point I realized what I thought was fog from a fog machine wasn't actually fog but the residual blue haze of cigarette smoke. Shmoke. Toke, Broke as a Joke. The show... well the first opener was downright wretched the best part of their set was when they would announce themselves they would play this little musical interlude which was a sample from a Public Enemy song. What was the cover of the sample from a Public Enemy song? How should I know a friend of mine told me that it was a sample, he didn't say what it was. That was funny, the screaming screetching equivalent to a toddler banging a couple of pots over their head was less so. There was so much twitchy pelvic thrusting yelling going on that it felt more like a middle school talent show than an a group of practiced musicians. Next up was Blood on the Wall did a real nice set that led us into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs which I said already were spectacular. The set started of with the track "Phenomena" which I might just like more than "Gold Lions" mainly because it's a lot edgier and less produced sounding and has some really good simple grinding driving beats and rifts. As far as album coverage they ran through all the tracks off of their first album and then played the tracks "Black Tongue", "Y Control", "Maps" and "No No No" off of "Fever to Yell" amongst others. I can't remember the other songs and for that I blame PBR in your garden variety 24oz cans at $4 a pop.

At the concert next to the stage were these giant signs informing the concerting public that there was no crowd surfing allowed. I think there was a time when people used to think more about what was fun and less about what could maim or kill you. There will always be those proud few that do things like attempt to shoot an arrow of their buddies heads and for that we salute you the cavorting jesters of stupidity. So seriously when did the fun leave the world, wasn't there a time when you could ride your bike without a helmet and not worry about the 1 in 1,000,00 chance that a rabid squirrel will race out from underneath a car with it's glowing red eyes right in front of your bike causing you fall of your bike land on a small rock instantly kill you by driving the rock into your head. Wasn't there a time when Ozzy would eat raw meat and not worry about avian bird flu or mad cow disease... sad times we are living in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home